We are starting small. What especially struck me as I read the facilitator training manual was the listing of necessary characteristics by 15 criteria. Some are obvious such as the need for experienced pastors who serve healthy congregations, who have faced difficulties, are theologically inquisitive, emotionally mature, intellectually curious and generous with time and energy. But what about these?:
- they are full of grace, continually making room for others and giving love away
- they are confident in their own gifts but humbly do not see themselves as 'experts'.
- they are listeners before they are talkers.
- they are good at asking questions that invite others to explore issues more deeply.
- they hold a clear and deeply theological sense of what it means to offer hospitality to others.