Thursday, December 6, 2007

Surviving grading

It’s an old joke that professors would teach for free but need payment for grading papers. Actually, it’s not a joke! For almost six days I have been tied to my desk grading my Principles of Preaching class. Each student has prepared a sermon on a different set text, together with a reflection paper.

So I keep a “Grading Prayer” in front of me. It goes like this:
Lord, who can help me do all things well, please help me grade
With fairness – to focus on each student’s work and deal justly with their effort
With efficiency – to spend enough time but not too much
With energy – to keep on going and not to get up from my desk until I have overcome! Through Jesus Christ, Amen.

P.S. – actually some of the sermons have knocked my spiritual socks off by quality exegesis and design. Wow, we have a few preachers here!

No comments: