Saturday, August 1, 2009

Whatever Moments (5)

A couple of days ago I celebrated another birthday. (Some of you sent greetings - thank you!) As I nudge through my sixties I am aware of many possible whatever moments. I was talking with someone last week who is three years older than me. He shared his daily habit of reading the local newspaper. "The first thing I do, every day," he said, "is to look at the obituaries. And see those people who died in the fifties and early sixties....and it makes me so grateful for the extra time I have lived!"

Well, that's one way of gaining perspective. Of course, it all depends on what we have done with our years. I am chastened to think how someone dying in their thirties (I can think of someone, can you?) can actually achieve a lifetime's work. It's all back to how we have lived and for whom we have lived. For me, the challenge remains to live my best for Christ and his Kingdom, knowing you can gain the whole world but lose your soul.

So, thank you Lord for another year, for health and strength (more or less)...and for showing me how to live more fully.

No comments: