Thursday, December 31, 2009

Greetings for a Bright 2010!

Moving into a New Year always presents challenges - reflection on the past and pondering the new. Leaving the so-called Noughties, and learning to write 2010 on correspondence, I am in process of replacing my 2009 calendar with my 2010 one. (Yes, I still use pen and books!) So, one battered diary is laid to rest with all its efforts, energy, successes and failures. Of course, many relationships and some initiatives of 2009 continue on through, but now so much seems dated!

But, the challenge of working with the new is equally daunting. I often think of James 4:13-17 about the way we presumptuosly make plans for the future. "Now listen you who say 'Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.' Why you do not even know what will happen tomorrow....Instead you ought to say, 'If it is the Lord's will' we will live and do this or that."

It used to be more common that Christians would add D.V. as they made their plans. Deo Volente - if the Lord wills. As I jot down commitments and events in my 2010 calendar I must keep thinking DV, to remind myself of how little I do know about tomorrow even, and how much I need to keep trusting God for it. It is said that the way to make God laugh is to tell him your plans! I enter this new year profoundly grateful for the health and strength God has given through 2009, but aware that I need him every step of 2010. A bright trusting 2010 for you!

No comments: