Friday, February 24, 2017

Back to School - Water Colour Class (2)

Half-term break last week brought us half-way through the course. One or two friends have asked me how I am doing and hinted they would like to see some early evidence.  I have firmly resisted, for a predictable mixture of reasons:

Realism prods me to acknowledge how unsatisfactory my early daubs are.  There are flashes where some elements seem to work together but they are often undone by clumsy brushwork and tone elsewhere in the picture. One time you achieve a passable sky with realistic clouds...but the next time its patently unrealistic.

Pride is obviously at work.....who wants to have viewers who, while showing compassion, are so clearly trying to find something positive as they struggle to give affirmation.   As the class teacher said of my first effort: 'I can see what you were trying to do!'  At least that was some crumb of comfort but it was a crumb!
Hope stirs me to look ahead with yearning that I will improve so that I can meet at least some of my expectations by the end.  Who knows?

One of you commented that I am obviously a man of many parts.  Let me honestly reply that I am yet to be persuaded that this is one of them!   But I shall go on....

No comments: