Sunday, January 14, 2018

Second test over!

I am very grateful for kind friends who have followed by path since the mini-stroke.   Today, I was able to preach for the first time for several months - indeed I led the whole service from beginning to end (just like my early days in solo ministry) at Emmanuel United Reformed Church in central Cambridge.  Again, Carol sat on the back row looking somewhat anxious, especially when the lectionary reading included 1 Cor 6:12-20 about sexual immorality. What was I going to say? But again, because of the many prayers, I felt able to fulfill the task without losing my way and, much more importantly, telling out gospel news. 

Beforehand I asked the elder what specific issues should be included in the prayers of intercession and he asked me to pray for the whole fellowship as it moves in a few weeks' time to join in with another central Cambridge congregation.  This was a first for me but it requires little imagination to recognize what patience, love, mutual understanding, and prayer will be necessary as two families become one.

As a footnote, it was mightily encouraging to connect with a few old friends after worship, including a church history professor who was a fellow student in the Cambridge University Baptist student society over fifty years ago.  Only old people can know the thrill of memories activated after decades and there is no greater joy than when they are Christian memories!  Growing old has some perks.

 

No comments: