Monday, April 23, 2018

A wobbly leg

Last Saturday I shared in an adventure with 14 other men.  I say adventure.. but that didn't look an appropriate word at all because it merely involved a 7 miles walk around Royston Heath near Cambridge.  For many of the men this meant a gentle stroll in good company.  From their well-worn walking boots and experiences on the Camino and in the Lake District this was obviously a doddle.  A good social occasion organized by Histon Baptist Church for us to develop friendships.

The weather was splendid.  A minibus took most of us to the heath and we set off at a leisurely pace. Fitter walkers had to be reined in for the sake of those behind.  I had not undertaken a walk like this since my broken right leg and titanium rebuild but over the last couple of years I have built up strength.  Indeed I had walked 6 miles on the preceding Monday with no effort or bad effects.  I was feeling confident and remained so until two-thirds along.  At this point we had a moderate climb where rain softened the earth and footings slipped.  No flat surfaces anywhere. Every step slightly twisted my ankle one way or another.  I felt no pain or tiredness but when we reached the top I felt my titanium leg go into wobble mode.  Fortunately my good left leg held firm but I looked down to see this new phenomenon of a wobbling leg  threatening to throw me off balance completely.

We still had a couple of miles to go.  Two of the men, who also happened to be deacons, recognized my awkwardness.  One cut down a branch to make an impromptu stick which in my right hand immediately gave me more control.  Then, way behind the rest, they kindly accompanied me on what really was a personal adventure!  We arrived back to obvious relief all round.  At church the next day we were pressed on all sides with concern and were very grateful for the care though I haven't suffered even a twinge since my hot bath!

Lessons learned: 1) Don't think that walking on level ground adequately prepares you for uneven ground.  2) Be very grateful for companions on the way.  A wobbly leg without friends around is no joke.  3) Walking together allows for great fellowship.

No comments: