Monday, October 22, 2018

Life lessons

A few days ago I had to speak at a Men's Breakfast in my church in Histon.  The organizer suggested that I speak on the secret of  50 years of marriage but it took only seconds (and Carol's high amusement) to reject that idea!  However, it made me think about what life lessons I might pass on from these past fifty years or so. What might I say to a mixed group of believers and others that might be interesting and provoking?   I only had 10 minutes or so and I had to select a few:

1.  Live for a big picture - something that not only gives perspective and holds you through the tough dark times but which makes you grow stronger.  I spoke briefly on my Christian faith as the big picture with its two characteristics.  Its carrot - the sheer attractiveness of Christian living with its emphasis on love, forgiveness, service, honesty etc. And its stick as I live with accountability before a God who calls me to accountability for my actions 'done while in the body, whether good or bad' (2 Cor. 5:10).  It is this high sense of accountability that means I should never cultivate an insignificant life but live for bigger purposes - proactively rather than re-actively.

2. Never underestimate the power of kindness - so often kindness is mistaken for softness.  It is assumed that leadership needs strength of character not kindness.  But actually the strongest most mature character knows the power of kindness to turn a situation of hostility, tension and breakdown and set a better agenda. 

3. Never lose your curiosity.  This seems of much lower order but to take real interest in everything and everyone builds lives and relationships of immense strength. Asking questions and listening carefully are vital skills for full living.  Self-absorption kills such hopes.

I gave some illustrations along the way to reinforce how I was learning these lessons.  And at the end I challenged the group to think about what they might identify as some life lessons.  It's a stimulating exercise.  Try it.

No comments: