Friday, December 21, 2018

Mystery parcel

On 12th November I posted that I had moved from my seat in church for only a few moments to return and find that someone had placed a book there.  It was a great read on one of my heroes - Andrew White.  No one took responsibility, though I asked several people.  My appeal for the donor to reveal themselves continued apace with a notice in our church bulletin followed up by a personal appeal from the pulpit from Carol.  I was to ill to attend the service and in my absence she gave a stirring speech including the thought that maybe it was never intended for me as a gift at all!  Still I have heard nothing.

Then two days ago we received a large mystery parcel through the post addressed to Carol.  With no helpful post marks we removed the outer wrapping to find a beautifully wrapped box with a little card wishing Carol a Happy Christmas!  No sender.  The handwriting doesn't strike us as familiar.  We are left wondering who sent it.

As we approach Christmas this reminds me of a children's talk I often gave because nearly always we received cards which were unsigned.  One year I had a couple of anonymous cards and I asked the congregation about the senders.  Again nothing.  But the point was obvious!  When the greatest gift the world has ever received is given in the birth of Jesus we are left in no doubt who the sender is.  For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life. (John 3:16)

Joy to the world! The Lord is come: Let earth receive her King; Let every heart prepare him room....

No comments: