Sunday, August 9, 2026

Deadline met

Puff..puff..pant..pant! Yes, the Hebrews deadline for Encounter Bible reading notes was met. And just to prove the point, let me briefly summarize the last two chapters.

Beware entanglement (Heb. 12:1:-13) I had to confess that I got the balance wrong between encouragement and warning. Thrilled by the cloud of witnesses cheering us one I minimized the danger of 'throw off everything that hinders' (verse 1) which is the main issue. The whole point of the passage is to warn this young church that enduring in the Christina race is no easy thing. That's why the subject of discipline looms large in the rest of the passage.

My Utmost ( Heb 12:14--29) Like the title of Oswald Chambers' My Utmost for His Highest' this passage exhorts us to give our best energies to living in God's peace and holiness. Effort is needed for the consecrated life. Old Testament examples illustrate the challenge: Esau, an anti-hero, who traded his spiritual rights for good, and two mountains. Sinai, terrifying in its holiness because of God's presence,is contrasted with the 'divine' mountain of God's eternal kingdom in the new covenant. However joyful this gift is, we can never treat God's holiness lightly. He remains as holy judge.

Good practice (Heb 13: 1-16) I contrasted a list of Summer habits I had recently read (like hydration, sunglasses etc.) which was me-centred and rather trivial, with this list which focuses on doing good to others. How demanding each issue is. Nothing trivial here. Giving hospitality, befriending prisoners, integrity in marriage, right attitude to money. And, surprisingly, the famous verse about Jesus being present in every age(verse 8) is sandwiched between exhortations to respect godly leaders. And, as you would expect with Hebrews the need for boldness and confidence in worship rounds off the list. Jesus expects practical differences to show in our lifestyles.

Booster send-off (Heb. 13: 17-25) Respect for leaders emerges again as do a few hints about the reader's situation, though they don't provide enough clues for identification! But what stands out with memorable clarity is the benediction (verses 20,21) which gloriously crowns the letter. I love the picture 'the Great Shepherd of the sheep'. What a powerful God booster send-off , blessing us that by his Spirit he seeks to keep working through us for his glory. 

It's such a privilege to be invited to write notes for such a wide international readership. I am truly grateful as an old boy to have been given this opportunity, I really am.

No comments: