Thursday, January 10, 2008

Idols in a black garbage bag

Yesterday one of my former students, Ryan, came to tell me about his ministry since leaving Northern two years ago. It was exhilarating news. Going to Vancouver, for his wife to complete a degree at Regent College, he was appointed as Pastor for Spiritual Formation in a Baptist Church. However, after a few months of interim, he was invited to become Senior Pastor.

What thrilled me most? Well, three things. First, his evident love for Christ and, second, his desire to win people. His church is situated in LIttle India, (apparently well named). Recently he went to the home of a Hindu couple, (in their sixties), who wanted him him to remove the idols from their home, because of their love for Christ. "What did you do?" I asked him. "I read some psalms about false idols, and warned of the danger of leaving the house unoccupied (Matt. 12:43-45) rather than letting their lives be filled with Jesus Christ." "And what did you do with the idols?" "Well, I would have liked to burn them, but they were made of brass, so I put them in a black plastic bag and disposed of them on the way home!"

And the third thing? His radiant commitment to preaching. "Now I am doing it every week I see how vitally important it is for everything," he said. Oh, how encouraged I am as I prepare my teaching notes for the next class! He shared good news about some of his peers too.

Any former students out there? Please let me know how things are going!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was great meeting with you, Dr. Quicke -- very encouraging. I am pleased that our visit was an encouragement to you as well. Grace and Peace to you, friend.

Ryan