Monday, March 17, 2008

Good Friday and Easter 2008

As we race through this full week, (still much grading and preparation for next term!), I prepare for two special occasions.

On Good Friday evening, when Calvary church completes its 40 days of prayer and fasting, I shall especially focus on Mark 14:27-42. This is always a solemn service, as worshipers are encouraged to leave in silence, meditating on our Lord's sacrifice. The Gethsemane story reveals arguably the greatest sentence uttered on the way to Calvary: "Yet not what I will, but what you will (verse36)." I believe that, by God's grace, my meditation should say, that Jesus wins the battle of the cross by prayer and obedience, and what it should do, is lead us to profound gratitude that he has won the battle over sin and death for us.

Easter morning is going to be an Alleluia morning! I conclude my series on God's promises by seizing the promise in John 11:25: I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he die; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die." Promised before Easter, it vividly encapsulates the wonder of the first Easter morning in John 20:1-18) and Jesus' promise about sin, death and life. May it be a great resurrection day!

As always, any Easter insights from these passages will be warmly received.

No comments: