Friday, March 28, 2008

Preaching Incarnation

My next project arises out of a book being written by good friends Peter Stevenson and Stephen Wright, entitled: Preaching the Incarnation. (They have already published Preaching the Atonement - to considerable acclaim!) Ten chapters will provide theological commentary on key biblical passages, followed by a sermon on each text and homiletical reflection.

My passage is Philippians 2: 1-11 which contains what many view as an early Christian hymn in verses 6-11. Packed with dense theology, it is also applied very practically.

Because it is for publication, and set in a theologically demanding context, its tempting to write for the eye - with as much theological gravitas as I can muster! Already Tom Long, Will Willimon, Anna Carter Florence and the Archbishop of Canterbury are on board! However, I believe, with all my heart, that preaching should never done in a study but in the midst of a congregation, (though I need the study too!) So I am taking this text for my next preach at the University Church at University of Illinois. "Real" people will help shape this preached word. As always, as I blog about my sermon journey these next days, I should value input from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting concept for a book series. The idea of using sermons to teach theology seems to me to be not only biblically sound, but an effective learning tool, particularly for preachers. The hardest theological concepts sometimes are made most understandable to the most people in a good sermon.