I have long been aware of God's seasons of blessing when a whole Christian community experiences joyful God- happenings. They happen in God's good timing - the Spirit blows where he wills! Last Saturday I was back at Arbury Road Baptist Church where 60 years ago we celebrated the opening of a new church building. I was 21 years old and I vividly recall elements of the story leading up to this event. Because my father was minister I could hardly avoid the event. So many factors coalesced into a glorious God season.
- a packed church fast out-growing the old premises
- commitment to pray for vision about the future, developing into possibilities of new premises to be built in gardens around the inadequate old building.
- sheer generosity - one of the members, who was an architect, designed a building (which still looks contemporary) and promised oversight of the building process as his gift to God.
- collective boldness in giving. My father held a 'Sit-In' when church members brought gifts and loans to him in dedication for the project (he did not know the financial details - that was confidential to the Treasurer who sat next door!) What a great idea that I copied in two church projects myself)
- signs during and following of God's blessing as the congregation grew, with baptisms and launch of the first 'All-Age-Sunday School in British Baptist life.
The day of opening shines brightly in my memory bank. Such excitement of a new worship area with real cause to worship inside it. What a crowning event in a rich period of congregational growth, resulting in the need for an associate minister to join the leadership team.
On Saturday a crowd enjoyed a celebration tea. I found two photographs: one of the old church in the snow in 1963, and the other in the week of completion of the new, with builders' rubble still piled in front. They've gone into the archives. Only 3 of us were there as witnesses to events 60 years ago, but what a time to celebrate God's goodness in a great past season of joy. I hope you can reflect on a season like that -maybe it's happening right now in your church!
No comments:
Post a Comment