Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Preaching at Wheaton (13)

As I have immersed in Mark 3:20-35 the repercussions of Jesus' question: "Who are my mother and my brothers?" (verse 33) keep widening. It seems that Jesus is claiming a new kind of family. He looks at his followers and uses the language of family, of blood ties, of love and loyalty, to describe what happens when doing God's will grounds a revolutionary new sort of community. Wow!

It's early days in my preparation but my sermon impact is shaping up like this:
By God's grace, what this sermon will SAY: Jesus shocks us by redefining what it means to belong to his family. And what the sermon will DO: challenge us about the two directions of his "family life" - growing inwardly in love and unity of fellowship and growing outwardly to do God's will in the world.

It's clearly a question with radical implications. I should love to hear any stories from you about your experiences of being in God's family. If they are confidential please use my personal email: mjquicke@yahoo.com As always, thanks for sharing in our worship preparation together.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Michael, the inward seems the hardest to attain for me. These inward, intimate moments are precious and rare. Can I think of an example? It seems like they are almost always around the table. Hearts are open and tender. It has happened with Orthodox friends in Moscow. It has happened with strangers in restaurants, and in our own home. As much as we eat the bread and drink the cup, we remember His death until He comes again.