Sunday, June 13, 2010

Preaching at Wheaton (8)

When I was planning my sermon series (many weeks ago) I had forgotten that Sunday June 20th. marks Father's Day! Remembering fathers involves a wide range of emotions, but it's good to be positive!

Interestingly, in the list of questions Jesus asked there is one set of questions that specifically asks fathers about their actions. In Luke 11:1-13 we first have some familiar teaching about prayer and a parable, and about waking up a neighbor for bread. Ask, Seek, Knock are key commands. How many times have we heard this?

Then suddenly at verse 11, Jesus addresses some questions to fathers: "Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish will give him a snake instead? Or if he asks for an egg will give him a scorpion? What's the point of these questions? The more I look at them, the more differences I see they make to all Jesus' preceding teaching about prayer.

So, on this Father's Day it will be good to focus on these questions Jesus asked fathers! As before, I invite you to immerse yourself in this passage. Unlike the last two weeks it is not a narrative text but some teaching. Yet within it, Jesus dramatically engages with us in our family life? What do you see going on here? As always, I am grateful for any responses.

No comments: