Sunday, July 11, 2010

Preaching at Wheaton (20)

Several of you have spoken about this morning's sermon - especially that the disciples were badly frightened twice. Said one of you: "I would definitely have been badly frightened by that storm, but I know I would have been even more terrified when Jesus calmed it down. Just imagine the enormity of discovering who Jesus was!" Immersing in God's inspired story enables us to glimpse through the disciples' eyes twenty centuries later. And marvel! Others shared about special need for Jesus' care as they face fears this week. God's word continues to speak.

Next Sunday (July 18th) we listen to another question - in Luke 6: 46: "Why do you call me Lord, Lord and do not do what I say?" This occurs in some teaching of Jesus which immediately raises questions about how much of the context is needed here. The question in verse 46 clearly leads into the story of the men who built either on rock or without foundation. Yet, the preceding verses about a tree and its fruit (verses 43-45) also seem significant.

As I prepare to look at this question of Jesus I shall therefore engage with Luke 6:43-49. Perhaps there are parallels between the two sorts of tree and fruit and the two builders? The question itself seems to be a question about OBEDIENCE.

Let's spend some time listening to these words in this new week, preparing for worship, always remembering we have a Side-by-Side Lord Jesus who comes close and asks questions. Please let me know about any insights.

No comments: