Friday, July 23, 2010

Preaching at Wheaton (25)

We are getting close to Sunday and I have been thinking about some questions to be included in the church bulletin to help us go on wrestling with issues in this next sermon. Flowing out of my preparation I have suggested these.

Q1. “Easy believism” makes you feel good because it doesn’t challenge your thinking, your culture or your relationships. What are some of the signs of falling into “easy believism”?

Q2. Christian claims do cause offence. Have you had any experiences of others being offended by Christianity?

Q3. In John 6:66, many disciples leave Jesus. When he asks “You do not want to leave too, do you?” what does that reveal about the kind of Lord he is?

Q4. How can we best help each other to remain “long-stayers” with Jesus?

I know that some of you have been stimulated by one or two of these questions in the past. They are only starters for thinking through what the Lord is saying to us today. Eventually I want to be able to include the best kind of questions in my bible study book on some of Jesus' questions! So any other ideas will be very gratefully received!

1 comment:

Don Babcock said...

In reply to Question 2.

I believe that we should all share our faith with every one we know, and people on the street no matter who is offended or not. Since I believe that without knowing Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, you will go to Hell. I witnessed to everyone I know or meet.

I witnessed, and gave Bibles to everyone at my former place of work. This is a Jewish privately owned business. I had reactions from "I'm interested in discussing with you" to out right ridicule. I'm in sales, and have lost customers because they were offended by my beliefs.

Many of my Christian friends have told me that they worry that they may cause offense if they tell other out right about their beliefs. Or they tell me that it is not one of their gifts.

I believe, no matter the outcome we should share our certain knowledge that Jesus is our Savior with every one we know.