Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Get well wishes

After nearly 8 weeks of parading my get well cards in the lounge, Carol has called time!  And perhaps as well because they somewhat dominated our living room.  But, as I look now at the pile in my hand, I must express my gratitude to all who sent them.  It takes considerable effort to find a get well card, especially if choosing with a particular person in mind, and then to write a personal message in it and mail it.  I loved my email messages but you cannot handle them in the same way!
 
Because I was locked down, drugged and immobile, I spent considerable time valuing each and every card. Some showed beautiful scenes. I happen to love trees and landscapes and several drew my eye into glorious countryside and seascape. I especially loved the ones showing a path through woods with sunshine in the distance. Several were humorous and one unintentionally so. Sent from the deaconesses at  First Baptist Church, Wheaton in Illinois it quoted Ps 84:5: Blessed is the man whose strength is in Thee. However, the picture showed a stout pair of walking boots, a map, compass and rucksack. For a man wobbling on crutches it seemed somewhat pointed!


Several had Scripture verses that I had time to ponder: Jas. 4:8, 2 Cor. 12:9, Ps 105:5, Ps 115:15, Ps 130:5, Ps.25, Lam. 3:22-23.  Most had personal notes, sometimes even a letter, all of which I read with the greatest of care. My family sent me home-made cards with pertinent illustrations. Elliot drew a hospital trolley!  Some surprised me, like a card signed by all the members of the table-tennis group.  Actually, many surprised me because of the kindness and effort shown.


I think you can tell what these cards have meant to me!  Thank you for so brightening these past weeks.

No comments: