Sunday, November 1, 2020

120 letters 4) Big regret

I must cease further commenting on these letters because trawling through them has triggered too much else that is of little or no interest to others.

However, I do have one very big regret.  Apart from sending a handful of replies I deeply regret that I did not write  return letters to most of these friends, who had sometimes spent a great deal of effort describing events and relationships in my past with some delightful reflections.  As I have read them again I realize just how much I should have replied properly giving back with some quality time and thought.

I know I can make excuses that time was pressurized (and it was) and that several told me not to bother to reply.   But how splendid it would have been to match these handwritten letters of support with grateful thankyous!   Sending thankyous was imprinted on my childhood manners.  My mother insisted that as soon as I received something I should immediately write a thank you note.   I remember the inevitable birthday mantra - ' 'Have you written those thank you letters yet?'  I think it is good practice....but sadly recognize I largely missed the opportunity back in 1993.   A bit late now, but a jolt to future behaviour!

No comments: