Saturday, March 25, 2023

Speaking in S. Carolina

This week I met with a group of PhD students at Anderson University, S. Carolina. That's the wonder of zoom!  The group had read and discussed my book 360degree leadership: preaching to transform congregations.  It is surprising that this book, published in 2006, is still worthy of any attention.  As one of the students commented "You wrote that some time before it was published, so it's nearly twenty years old!  How would you write it today?"  A very good question.  Much has happened, especially with the advent of missional theology.  Undeniably the book is too prescriptive and church-centric.  Actually, I did write an update in 2014 but its publication is unlikely to see daylight.  That's another story.

But, sharing in conversation I realized that in 2006, as one student suggested, this book was 'prophetic'  It dared to join together leadership with preaching in challenging ways.  Especially as it critiques thin-blooded preaching that omits leadership - that it is, among other things, individualistic, generic, avoids conflict, suffers spineless theology, is cowardly and is missionally defective

Towards the end of our session another student questioned whether I had evidence that preachers had actually benefitted from my book and its challenges had changed any ministries. What an acute sobering question.  I know from  conversations since that it has made some impact.  But who knows?  It's humbling to realize that so much ministry is offered without seeing fruit.

I really enjoyed my interactive session with a bright group engaged on the front line.  I owe much to the Dean, Dr. Michael Duduit, who aligned himself ( perhaps too strong a word) with my vision back in 2006 and who supervises these students.  He gave an old preacher an engaging time.  

1 comment:

Michael Duduit said...

Your time with our students was well received, and be assured that your book is still valuable in helping pastors think about how preaching impacts their church leadership, and vice versa!

Thanks for taking time with our PhD students. It is always a joy to spend time with you, even if by zoom across the pond!