Wednesday, February 4, 2009

"Being with the Father" in Kohl's

Last Sunday I preached at Grace Bible Church in Aurora, for the first time. I worked on a new sermon which focused on Luke 11:11: Which of you fathers, if your son asks for a fish will give him a snake instead? It's a surprising question, (followed by another), that spins you around to look afresh at the first ten verses of Luke 11 - all about prayer. Jesus contrasts human fathers with the best - how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him? (verse 13). So I preached about the secret of prayer as: being with the Father, asking the Father and receiving the Father's gift of the Holy Spirit.

Last night Carol and I rushed into Kohl's Department Store to try and get a bargain for our grandchildren. Heads down,charging for the right section, a man stopped me." Hi," he said. "You preached in our church on Sunday, didn't you?" And, giving his name he added: "Being with the Father - I remember!" We stopped in our tracks. We were a long way from that church. In an unlikely setting, between racks of clothes, this man reminded me what it's all about. Yes, in Kohl's, being with the Father is what counts.

1 comment:

Simon Quicke said...

But of course getting some great gifts for the gandchildren (who enjoyed them very much) is also quite important!