Monday, September 14, 2009

Bucket and Ocean

I think I have found an apt metaphor to use about my work on my next book re preaching and worship. Lytton Strachey describes the historian's task as: "He will row out over the great ocean of material, and lower down into it, here and there, a little bucket, which will bring up to the light of day some characteristic specimen from those far depths to be examiend with a careful curiosity." An ocean and a bucket sum up the writing project so well. Partly, about its scale because worship comprises an ocean of material with the widest of perspectives, complex theological depths and a thousand different practical expresssion. And partly, because I am aware of how little bucket my bucket really is when it comes to experience, reading and thinking. There is always so much more I could plumb!

My Part 3 is proving especially difficult to write because it involves more practical application of some of the big issues. Some of these are of topical interest and I really value imput from others. For example, principles and practice regarding music, or corporate prayer need teasing out. I'm going to begin with music. I hope my bucket's worth will be amplified by your contributions. So, in the next blog I begin to ask: What are the prime principles regarding music in worship and how we do put them into practice?

2 comments:

dss said...

Just remember what John said in his gospel, that his was just a sampling of all the stories of Christ when he said,"Jesus did many other things as well. If every one of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." I guess the point is that you will not be able to include everything in your book, or even read everything to make a decision about what to include in your book. Therefore, you will have to trust the Lord to guide your reading and your choices as well as your writing as you continue to chose where in the ocean to fill your pails.

the Quickes! said...

How I needed to read that quote! I'm trying to carry the entire ocean in my arms every day, and it's not working out too well. Such wisdom is needed to discern what little I need to plumb each day. God give you wisdom and joy in your writing!