Saturday, May 29, 2010

Preaching at Wheaton (2)

I have asked First Baptist church (via their June bulletin) to help me.

Please can you help me? I am preaching a series called TRUTH SPACES, all about the questions that Jesus asked in the gospels.

It is said that you can tell how wise people are more by the questions they ask than the answers they give. Our questions reveal so much about us - our depth or
shallowness. Questions develop relationships, opening up new possibilities. When the world's greatest personality, Jesus Christ, asks questions we should sit up
and take notice. He doesn't just teach with authority (though he most certainly does) but he also invites ordinary people to open up to him. He invites them into truth spaces.

I invite anyone (with internet access) to prepare along with me by and reading and responding to my blog. For those without internet access I really welcome written input too. I shall post details of each sermon some days before I preach and encourage you to prepare with me sharing your own insights and stories. This is not a new idea to me, nor some gimmick. I have used my blog over the last cople of years to invite others to joine me in preparation elsewhere. I thas led to some profound experiences. As a preacher I have grown and as worshippers together we have been to deeper places.

My first sermon (June 6th) will be on the question Jesus asks in John 1:29-42: "What do you want?" I invite you to do help me prepare in the next few days:
1) Prayerfully read John 1:29-42 out aloud, spending quality time immersing yourself into this story. Listen with the help of the Holy Spirit.
2) Ask what God is saying and doing in this encounter, especially when Jesus asks these two would-be disciples the question: What do you want?" Responding to Scripture means not only understanding its message (what it says) but obeying what is does, at it makes fresh demands on our lives.
3) What surprises you about Jesus' question? Yes, you!
4) Join in with me as I ask the same questions and try to focus on what I call the sermon's main impact: "By God's grace what this sermon will SAY is....and DO is...."
5) Post your own insights on my blog.
6) Keep praying for the worship on June 6th.
7) Post your responses on my blog in the days afterwards.

No comments: