Saturday, April 9, 2016

Complicated communications

Someone asked me how I was going to cope with the three social media outlets I have suddenly acquired: my blog, my facebook.com/newkindofpreaching  page and facebook itself.  The answer is.....poorly!

For example, I need to ask for help regarding the criteria for the next search for the 12 most effective preachers in the English speaking world.  This project was last held in 1966 by Baylor Univ. and Truett Seminary and they are asking whether the criteria they used in 1966 (developed from 333 professors!) still apply. Since most of my blog readers will not read this on the facebook page yet I know they would have useful comments I realize that I need to post these criteria here also!  So, anyone interested, please scan the 7 criteria and let me know your views.


1. Biblical/Exegetical: “Effective preaching is based on solid biblical exegesis.”

2. Relevance: The sermon “is pertinent to their ordinary daily struggles to live the gospel.”

3. Preacher's Persona: The effective preacher preaches sermons which reflect his/her own life experiences and commitment - “passion” as well as “integrity” in his/her sermons.

4. Theological/Orthodox: The effective preacher preaches sermons which are faithful to Christian tradition - expressed doctrinally “within the parameters of the Christian faith.”

5. Sermon Structure: The effective preacher preaches sermons which are structured with a clear introduction, main body, and conclusion.

6. Effective Communication: The effective preacher preaches sermons which clearly communicate the central idea through use of simple language and illustrations so as to convince the listeners of the message.

7. Delivery/Style: The effective preacher preaches sermons which are delivered skillfully with appropriate poise, body language, gestures, eye contact, and voice quality. 


I  only have a few days left to submit my response.  Any omissions, additions?

No comments: