Sunday, February 4, 2018

A Cambridge God Adventure* 28) In her own words

(*please skip if you have not been following this story). The following Sunday morning I shared the news of Dorothy's healing with the whole congregation.  Enthusiastic thanksgiving came from some while others were muted and even downright suspicious.  One or two rounded on Dorothy questioning whether it was not 'mind over matter'.  Nothing trans-rational here!  I think many traditional congregations would have exactly the same range of responses.

Dorothy wrote her story for the May church magazine:
Praise God I have never needed to put my collar on again. The pain in my back and foot has completely gone as have my joint pains. At a recent checkup my blood pressure was found to be normal even though I have stopped all medication. I kept my appointment at the hospital when I should have told the doctor whether I'd decided to have the spinal operation or continue on pain- killers.  When I told him of my healing he said: 'That's great - I'm so glad for you.'
Why did God heal me directly and immediately?  I had prayed most earnestly for healing in order that I might continue to serve God and take a full part in the exciting and ongoing work of our church at this time of spiritual growth.  I am praising Him that he is enabling me to do this.  I feel sure that this healing was not for me only but that the faith of all of us may be built up, that God's power and love is demonstrably at work today.  To God be all praise and glory.
Vitally we gave thanks at a follow-up meeting at Dorothy's house. (Giving thanks is essential - remember the nine lepers who failed to do this (Luke 17:19)? I invited Tony to join us again but with wisdom he encouraged us to trust God ourselves for the unfolding future healing ministry. Her room was packed (with Holly of course). Earlier group were now  joined by others. What thanksgiving was shared as new requests were heard! Looking back to the quality of that meeting with its balance of joy yet temerity about expecting further acts of faith, I could see Dorothy's conviction that her healing had much wider implications was beginning to come true.

No comments: