Wednesday, March 17, 2021

29 years later

Early in the 90's I was given a book by an American colleague - Handbook of Contemporary Preaching.  Published in 1992 its 55 chapters ranged over a vast range of preaching issues written by 50 authors many of whose names I recognized.  However, like other reference books it sat on the shelf. Only occasionally I dipped into its chapters.  

Suddenly, come 2000 when I was transplanted to teach preaching in the USA this book, and many others, became tools of the trade.   Several of the authors became known to me and the world of homiletics opened up in fresh ways.  As I mentioned in an earlier blog, now I have moved into retirement phase, I am downsizing my books (including this handbook) though the pandemic has slowed down dispersal. 

And then, out of the blue came the news that a new edition of the handbook is going to be reissued, 29 years on! I was invited to write the overview chapter introducing the section 'Preaching and the Ministry'. You can imagine my surprise and delight...and relief that I still had some of my library to consult. The essay is called: The role of preaching in ministry.  I have just sent it to the General Editor. 

With this writing task over these last few weeks I have been reminded of what can happen over a period of 29 years!  How much we can learn and grow! And for me, how much I thank God for the new opportunities he gave me.  Actually, we don't need that long to look back and be grateful, do we?   


No comments: