Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Seven Easter Eggs 2) The choice

A few days later I was enjoying a coffee with our pastor. Chris, when he applied (gentle) pressure about which egg I would choose.  Some had already been chosen, including The Last Supper which he was painting himself.  As conversation developed I learned he had been to Art College and I more readily understood his keenness for the whole project. On his smart phone he enthusiastically showed me the sketch he had made for his egg - based on Rublev's famous icon of three figures around a table. With imagination his design also included Jesus washing the disciples' feet.  It really communicated.  He explained he would be using warm, encouraging colours.

As we talked, I realized afresh the contrast in the Easter story between Jesus and his disciples sharing bread and wine (warm colours) and the awful darkness of what was to follow.  Judas the betrayer leaves the table and it was night. (now that sentence paints doesn't it?)  And then Jesus goes to the garden of Gethsemane,  He leaves all but three of his disciples asking them to sit and wait as he goes to pray. Then, with Peter, James and John he moves away with obvious grief and agitation. Indeed he tells them "I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here and stay awake with me.' And going a little further he throws himself on the ground, praying in agony 'My Father if it is possible, let this cup pass from me." (Matt. 26:36-46)  Luke tells us that 'in his anguish he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat became like great drops of blood falling down on the ground.' (Luke 22: 44). 

Chris said that, if I took this scene, its dark and cold tones would make such a contrast with his set next to it.  And so, in this way, my choice was made.   

No comments: