Saturday, August 20, 2022

Summer heat

My posts are slower and lethargic as this drought and heatwave continues .....we could cope with the heat in the US, courtesy of air conditioning.  Often fierce as you entered indoors.  But here we just drip and drop!  And I know we are not suffering alone.

However, our US family made the visit after 4 years and joined up with our London family for some joyful holiday times in Cambridge.  I think they rated our time on the river, messing about in punts, as one of the best.  Hiring two punts, I blissfully reclined in one, knowing that my two sons would take the strain.  Moving up river to Granchester in temps. of 38 plus degrees, I dipped my hand in the water and gleefully splattered myself . Then, to my joy, my grandsons took over the punting.  For two of them it was a new experience but before long they were propelling us along in more or less straight lines.  Occasionally we visited low hanging branches and reeds and needed the paddle to push us off.

I thought to myself, with a glow of thankfulness, what a special time we were being given. Family togetherness in bucolic scenery with new skills transmitted onwards. My father taught me to punt when I was nine years old and now I see a new generation enjoying themselves.  So, this is a very grateful post.

Hopefully, you also have found some good times and relief these last weeks.  

No comments: