Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Oral History (2) Early formation

On August 24th I mentioned the 5,000 word project on my personal Baptist history. I shall only repeat a few words (Phew! relief!) but, perhaps, when I used the word 'inevitable' about the Baptist influence on the life you will see why. (Again, please ignore these posts if, understandably, they seem boringly personal!) 

My early life combines four main areas of early formation, all strongly embedded in Baptist life. The first involves being born into a Baptist minister’s family. Three Quickes are listed in the Baptist Union Directory 2000-2002. My father Walter George, commenced ministry in 1944; Stephen, my younger brother began in 1972 as did I.  Undeniably, the fact that two brothers ended up in Baptist ministry owes much to our parents’ vocation – a calling to which they gave themselves unstintingly.  My mother particularly influenced me spiritually, and I remember daily family life was dominated by church commitments. My father’s peak ministry was probably at Brunswick Road, Gloucester 1953-1961, with a large suite of buildings including Robert Raikes’ original Sunday School.  Sunday worship mornings and evenings were very well attended with the contemporary diet (as he described it) of ‘one Bible, one hymnbook and one order of service’.   Signs of decline were barely visible.

In Gloucester, through Sunday School, Boy’s Brigade and Junior Church my growing relationship with Jesus Christ was nurtured and declared in baptism in 1953.  Though an undramatic process it marked a decisive commitment, which my mother said she noted in my subsequent behaviour! This ushered in the second key formation influence.  I became immersed in the church youth group full of serious and gifted friends whose intensity of service and prayer was to impact many futures.  Taking services around village churches. holding our own prayer meetings, handing out Victory tracts in the streets, sharing in open air witness (with me playing the piano accordion) helped me mature in understanding and expressing my faith.  Each summer we reveled in Baptist Missionary Society (BMS) Summer Schools.  It is no surprise that three in our group eventually went into full-time service, one as a missionary and two of us as Baptist ministers.  Others became church leaders. I owe so much to this group. When my father moved from Gloucester to Arbury Rd. Baptist Church, Cambridge, in 1961, I continued strong commitment within a fresh youth group, with less intensity yet continuing nurturing through BMS summer schools.  Church life was lively with my father successfully initiating the first ‘All Age Sunday School’ in BUGB using US teaching materials!  Great days of Baptist life and witness.


No comments: