Saturday, August 3, 2024

Flashback illustrated 2)

I realize my plan to disturb a resident in this way is rather odd. Arriving in Clevedon I parked outside the main gate into Dial House.  Manipulating my rollator into action I trundled up to the iron gate only to find it impossible to open it's latch.  This left us no choice but to walk along the pavement to the garage drive where two upmarket cars were parked. Unfortunately, entering the drive the only way to the house front door meant crossing the lawn. Pushing my rollator with Carol gamely alongside we heard dogs barking inside. In fact three dogs. While we were still on the grass, the front door opened with the houseowner setting free the dogs which rushed up to inspect us. She looked utterly bemused as this elderly couple plodded onto the front path and up towards her. I can only imagine her mind racing through the possibilities.  Probably she had rejected ideas that we could be dangerous or lost.  But she looked distinctly troubled. I didn't blame her.

As I was approaching I announced that I had something to show her that I was throwing away but before I did she was one of the very few people who might be interested.  She looked unhappy still. I really didn't blame her. I told her, 'For many summers through the 1950's and 1960's my brother and I came here every year for our holidays to stay with our grandparents.  They were wonderful days. When I was older, about 14, 15 I was into drawing buildings and I made a couple of the outside of the house.' She came forward looking worried. Unrolling them she was at first silent and then commented that the rose garden had now gone. I burbled that very little else seemed to have changed.  

Telling her that she could throw them away now she had seen them, we both turned to walk down the path to try the main gate again. After another failure to open it (she said it was difficult!) we retraced our route across the lawn. As we were nearly out of sight she shouted out, 'What year was this?' '1959, I think', I replied. And that was that!

I wonder what happened when other members of her household heard later of this bizarre happening. Perhaps she had disposed of the sketches already!  She had asked nothing about me or my grandparents.  But when you are disturbed like this you don't necessarily think clearly.  Friends hearing this story asked whether I was disappointed that we weren't asked in. To be honest, yes, I was. But I really couldn't blame a stunned lady wanting a quiet cup of tea on her own. I am glad I made the effort and it decluttered a little of my archives.

No comments: