Friday, August 23, 2024

Harsh Jude 2)

Now for the difficult part. Verses 5-16 are tough read.  As mentioned earlier (June22 post) they contain references to stories only told here, citing documents not elsewhere in Scripture. But no one can doubt the severe tone. The Message puts verse 5: I'm laying this out as clearly as I can, ever though you once knew all this well enough and shouldn't need reminding. Here it is in brief: The Master saved a people out of the land of Egypt. Later he destroyed those whose defected.' This church, he wants to encourage, has to be reminded that God is judge who condemns bad behaviour and those who turn their backs on him. In spite of what God has done for his people they have totally lost their way. Sodom and Gomorrah are examples of people deserving judgement, serving as examples of those who suffer God’s punishment.

When a church hears messages that dilute responsibility to live for God in his way, it faces God's judgement. These false teachers, he calls them dreamers v 8, are condemned because they are destroying the faith by their behaviour and teaching. Grumblers, faultfinders boasting about themselves they flatter others for their own advantage, verse16.  What an indictment! Beware affirmation without accountability.   Happy words without gravity. Endorsement of current lifestyles without the wonder and work of the Kingdom of God. And how much we need each other and the Holy Spirit to live in the balance between joy of salvation and obedience in the kingdom.  Like Jude writes subsequently: 'But you dear friends build yourselves up in your most holy faith, and pray in the Holy Spirit. Be merciful to those who doubt' verse 22. 

Did I find this an easy part of the sermon?  No! And nor did the congregation! I paused to remember how I have placed on my bathroom cabinet the famous E. Orthodox Jesus prayer for every morning: Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me a sinner. I confess not every morning, but it's there to be said from the heart, to give perspective about how Jesus is my Saviour and I need his help to be more like him. I remember talking to a church leaders' conference about the importance of confession.  Afterwards a couple talked to me. How often would you say a prayer like the Jesus prayer? they asked. 'Well, most days and certainly some confession whenever we worshipped', I replied. With indignation they both chorused: 'No. That's unthinkable and unnecessary when you have been saved, cleansed and healed by Jesus.  I understood they offered optimistic leadership with good news and nothing should spoil that. And good news is central. But its such a difficult balance.  I am special but as his disciple Jesus has high expectations and there is 2 Cor. 5:10!

Afterwards a member of the congregation sent me a quote from David Benner (The Gift of Being Yourself);' Some Christians base their identity on being a sinner. I think they have it wrong - or only half right. You are not simply a sinner; you are a deeply loved sinner. And there is all the difference in the world between the two'.  Yes - half right.

 


No comments: