Sunday, October 6, 2024

A book, a hymn

I have posted before about the painful process of saying goodbye to my library. The ordeal is largely over but I still have a number of old volumes which have little interest to others. Before I recycle them I am looking for nuggets and triggers. Many are brown and mottled yet I continue to ask whether they might contain treasures?  Right now, open in front of me, is a 1928 book discarded from Spurgeon's College Library with the un-PC title: Souls of Men. A bookplate declares it actually came from the library of its author - W.Y. Fullerton.

W.Y. Fullerton (1857-1932) was a Baptist evangelist, writer, hymn writer and leader in the UK.  C.H. Spurgeon - the Prince of Preachers - became a friend and one of Fullerton's many books was a biography of Spurgeon (with that title).  Though inevitably dated his writing style had sparkle, energizing his prose by lively stories and quotes.

I'll come to the book in a minute but I must first mention one of his hymns that is a clear favourite of mine.  In my local church I have been able to conclude some of my preaching services with it. The music leader noticed: 'You really like this one.'  And I do.  I love it's radiant faith that really tells out the gospel with full-blooded conviction. Yet this confidence in Christ is set within a necessary wider context.  Set to the tune Londonderry each verse begins with the line: I cannot tell.  It brings realism to Christian faith.  

Verse 1 focuses on the incarnation. Why Christmas. Why did God choose to send Jesus as a baby? I cannot tell why he, whom angels worship, should set his love  upon the sons of men

Verse 2 concentrates on the suffering of the cross. :I cannot tell how silently he suffered.

Verse 3 centres on the universal mission of the Kingdom of God. I cannot tell how he will win the nations.

Verse 4 focuses on the consummation of the Kingdom: I cannot tell how all the lands shall worship.

Every time it honestly expresses how the ways of God are way beyond human thinking. How much we just cannot tell.  Revelation asks for intelligent faith but won't give comprehensive explanations. When Jesus tells us to pray he doesn't explain how it works. Rather he asks if we have a room with a door and tells us to go in, shut the door, and DO IT. 

Wonderfully, and the music helps, each admission of ignorance I cannot tell is answered by a fifth line BUT THIS I KNOW.  Oh the joy of praising God. But this I know, that he was born of Mary. But this I know, he heals the broken-hearted. But this is know all flesh shall see his glory But this I know, the skies will thrill with rapture.

I may well choose it for my funeral when non-believers will be present because it expresses the balance of heartfelt faith which firmly holds on to Jesus because he holds on to us.  Yes, I'll come to the book next but this hymn is worth a post!. 

No comments: