Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Another reunion

Just when I finished my last post two sheets of flimsy airmail letter fluttered out from some old files. It was a rare finding of some 25 year-old correspondence from my Dad.  He only occasionally wrote to me in the US and when he did he liked to tell stories. Often unusual ones. This was about the Men's Contact Club he began when minister at Faringdon Baptist Church (1948-52). A small village church he looked after while Bursar at Regent's Park College in nearby Oxford.  He wanted to form a friendship group for men, with general interest themes intended to attract others. At one meeting......

One fellow said he would get his friend to come along with his new motor bike and talk about it. The bike was a BSA Thunderflash 1000cc!  He was not too eloquent but he had some things which were quite new - for example it had a press button starter instead of the old kick starter. He showed me where the button was and I tentatively pressed it. The explosion and shattering row quite unnerved me! The room at the back of the church was rather small and adjoined some houses. So I was in quite a panic to stop the row but didn't know how. I tried to call out 'How do you stop it?' But he thought I was exulting in the powerful performance until I bellowed in  his ear.

I think that was the most impressive of meetings for John! He became a regular member of the club and his friendly personality endeared him to all - as well as the fact that he was goalkeeper for Faringdon Football Club. A few weeks later there was another meeting which was a total failure. To start with it was raining dismally and then the speaker did not turn up. There were three of us and one was John. I wondered what I could speak about. I had been reading on the bus coming home from Oxford an article which mentioned John Wesley and the fact that he had rarely met anyone who was concerned about their salvation. I felt so surprised that he made that statement. I shared this with the men. To my surprise John said 'Well you should see my wife?'

The next evening I called and found it was true. That evening she turned to the Lord. When I saw her 30 years later she said 'I have tried to be faithful'. And, casually John mentioned about their time with scouts and cubs. I had started the movement but it was not very flourishing and eventually had no leader. John took it on with his wife and the work was so flourishing that they reached the top limit for membership. and it became a great influence for good.

And why did my Dad retell this story in a letter to me?  Because 50 plus years later he had just met up again with John and his wife at Clevedon Baptist Church.  He sat between them in church and relived those former years. Another Blest be the tie that binds story

No comments: