Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Totally jazzed (2)

Yesterday at the Whole-Life Preaching Workshop (organized by the London Institute of Contemporary Christianity) proved to be even more exhilarating than I had prayed for and expected.  As I entered St. Peter's off Oxford Street I was greeted by a packed church with full tables of eight people round each.  Actually they ran out of spaces!  Making my way to an empty chair I was hugged by some of my former Spurgeon's students -two of whom are still in the same church twenty years since leaving the college.  Later I was to catch up with such encouraging stories - there is nothing like hearing genuine good God stories. Several others I recognized as old friends. Church leaders had come from all over the UK and the buzz of anticipation was glorious.

The central event was the launch of a six-part video Whole Life Preaching which belongs within the LICC commitment to help Christians make a difference wherever they are.  Many of us are grateful for the quality of their commitment to give us so many good resources for daily mission and ministry. And, of course for me, the focus on preachers was tremendously encouraging as we worked through the afternoon together.  One pastor, a Methodist from Doncaster, said that she had been yearning for a workshop like this for years and afterwards declared to the whole conference that it had met her expectations....especially with the six-part video series now released.  The full series is available free online at licc.org.uk/preaching.

On the train journey home I reflected on the joys of a day that was replete with good things.  So many!  I only caught the train with a minute to spare because I was guest at a celebration meal in a nearby restaurant when many LICC staff shared their happiness about the day and (I was thrilled to witness) about being a team together.  Experiences like this are truly to be treasured.  Thank you LICC.


No comments: