Saturday, November 5, 2022

God copiers 5)

In this daily battle, rejoice that Jesus is alive and well and calls us to be awake and careful together. I love the way the apostle ends this section. At a social occasion I met this professional musician who played in a famous London orchestra.  I love orchestral music and immediately I had several questions imagining how wonderful it would be to be in the middle of skillful people creating such wonderful music.  Which piece of music thrilled him most? Lots of questions.  I began: 'How wonderful to belong to an orchestra like yours. How exhilarating to be in the middle of such music making.'  And he looked at me blankly. 'No. It’s just a job'. And I suppose if you have been doing this for a number. of years, the same stuff, the conductor saying, turn to second movement bar 269.  Routine.

We haven’t looked at all the aspects of the world’s culture listed but one of them hits on drunkenness: v.18  Don’t get drunk with wine….(that’s not the way to lasting joy), instead be filled with the Spirit singing psalms, hymns, spiritual songs, giving thanks to God the Father.  Come and worship and support each other because that’s the way to lasting joy.   Nothing routine. And the power of us belonging together as community is the way that God helps us through. Our first hymn today: 'What a friend we have in Jesus" - as I sing it and realize just how foreign it sounds to world culture I glory in being among his friends singing it together.  I love the definition of a Christian: A Christian is someone with whom it is easy to be good. Being together should bring out the best.

With mind and strength we say: By thy call of mercy, by the grace divine we are on the Lord’s side, Saviour we are thine.  We say to our critic. With God's help we really are trying to be better copiers as his children. We know we make many mistakes but come and join us in kingdom culture where we seek to grow in love, care and truth.  

No comments: