Monday, February 4, 2008

Blogging God's Promises (11)

What a God-incidence! Many weeks ago, as an interim preacher, I planned to preach on God's promises about prayer on February 10th. At their recent retreat, the church leaders felt challenged to call the church to 40 days of prayer and fasting. And, it just so happens (oh really!) that one leader contacted me afterwards: "We wonder, in your series, if you could introduce the promise of prayer, say on February 10th?" "It's already planned for that date," I replied, to his great astonishment -and mine too.

Over the last three months, I have received more stories about answers to prayer promises than any other kind. One woman told me how important John 16:23-24 has been throughout her life. "My Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive , and your joy will be complete" First memorizing these verses when she was 23 years old, (during a Navigator's Bible Study), her life ever since, with some dramatic turns (and downturns), has seen this promise repeatedly delivered. Actually, this promise in its setting was not well-known to me. However, seen in context, as Jesus leaves grieving disciples, it is very appropriate as we approach Lent and Easter.

So I am preparing hard on this particular passage through this week. With 40 days prayer and fasting beginning on February 11th, the sermon requires clear purpose. I shall try and blog further work soon. Any insights you can share will be very welcome. Don't forget, confidential comments can be sent to mquicke@seminary.edu

No comments: