Monday, September 8, 2008

Filling in the blanks (3)

To my joy, around 300 men gathered for Saturday's Prayer Breakfast - actually, one group arrived at 5.30 am to set up tables. Each table had copies of my sheets with six blanks (all beginning with S), with pens provided. As soon as I started to speak, I noticed how many (it seemed the great majority) reached for pens and followed closely. I know filling in blanks keenly doesn't indicate keen changes in behavior, but it certainly showed commitment to listen.

So what were the missing words? One of two of you have said you tried to identify them but gave up. The first three come from Moses' personal prayer life (Exodus 33: 7-23) , and the last three from his public prayer (Exodus 17:8-15).
1. Separate yourself
2. Speak intimately
3. Specify promises and needs
4. Stand up
5. Share together
6. Succeed for God's glory.

I wonder how these might have translated into specific action following Saturday? Any differences? Of course, that's always the question for preachers themselves, as well as their hearers.

No comments: