Friday, April 24, 2020

Kept taut by hope

I was on my permitted exercise walk yesterday on the path behind our house across the area to be developed for new housing.  Currently building work has stopped and beyond the sown crops are shooting up.  Green swathes ripple in the wind.  I was on my return when I saw ahead a lady, I guess in her late 60's maybe 70's (oh, who can tell?) who had paused on her bicycle at the point where the path divides.  Moving closer (though socially distanced of course) I saw that she looked extremely anxious.
In a worried voice she said: 'Excuse me.  I am really sorry to bother you and I don't want to be a nuisance but can you help me?'
'Yes, if I can,' I replied.
'Could tell me where this goes to?' she asked pointing up the track. '
Clearly it was completely unknown route. She seemed totally disorientated. When I told her she then enquired nervously: How far is it? I tried to give encouragement as she cycled off.

I know its a simple illustration but it sums up how many of us are feeling in lock down. Ahead is a completely unknown route. It just so happened that she asked me this just as I was thinking about some verses in Col 1 for a sermon shortly to be preached. (I know - it's odd.  But I often do preparation on walks). Verse 5, rendered in The Message: The lines of purpose in your lives never grow slack, tightly tied as they are to your future in heaven, kept taut by hope.

It's easy at the moment to feel lines of purpose are slack because we don't know where this goes to. But because Jesus is alive and his ultimate promises are vindicated as is his presence with us we can step ahead knowing our future is with him, kept taut by hope. Yes.

No comments: