Monday, April 27, 2020

Resting in joy

Shortly I am preaching back (remotely of course) at the church where I was a teenager. And into my mind shot a memory as clear as yesterday. Several people influenced me for good and seeing their faces (in memory) lights me up.  One of them was Len Wyatt who worked for Chivers Farm and struck me as a real outdoors man with sunny face, booming voice and love for everyone. He would cycle into church and even though 50 plus years separated us he became my friend.  He seemed to be self-taught about so much including his piano playing which was always enthusiastic.  And that's the particular memory.

At our midweek meeting in the side hall we would always sing at the beginning. Len would often play. The Baptist Hymn Book had just been published (1962) and it was being introduced to the church. (Doesn't mention of hymnbooks and especially this green one seem dated?) This particular night Len shared that there was a new hymn in it that we had to learn.  He launched into an ultra enthusiastic rendition, banging away on the keys and singing his heart out:

                  Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art;
                  I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.
                  Thou has bid me gaze upon Thee, and Thy beauty fills my soul:
                   For by Thy transforming power Thou hast made me whole.
                         Jesus, I am resting, resting in the joy of what Thou art;
                         I am finding out the greatness of Thy loving heart.

Perhaps it should have been treated more contemplatively (!) but I have never forgotten the wonder in Len's eyes and heart, his joy, and the way it really lifted me then and lifts me now.  That's what the faith of others does! And I hear the challenge of resting in the joy in the enforced present .

No comments: